Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Modern Applique Workbook

I found the following definition for a modern quilter online:  Modern quilters embrace functionality, simplicity and minimalism, and use asymmetric designs in their approach.   I have admired modern quilts because the wide open spaces allow for amazing quilting!  These quilts are far from “simplicity, minimalism or functional.”  While the piecing or applique may be “simple,” many modern quilts are heavily quilted with complex designs, and ruler work.  I picked up “The Modern Applique Workbook” by Jenifer Dick for the amazing quilting featured on the quilts.


Since I am practicing my free motion quilting on George, and I love hand applique, I decided to start with Birds.

I dug into my stash, watched Leah Day’s video for her landscape quilting design, and went to work on my little table mat. Here is the result:

 

It’s not perfect, but I like it.  Thanks to Sharon at Vrooman's Quilts for hosting the Let's Book it and linky party.  You can find the other participants here

3 comments:

  1. I love to watch Leah's video's too. Nice little project and the quilting is wonderful. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks perfect!!! Well done, the bird is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete